Terms & Conditions
The British Geological Survey (BGS) is a wholly owned Research Centre of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). In entering our site you as a user ('you') are accepting our terms and conditions.
All information provided by BGS or NERC on its web pages is made available to provide immediate access for the convenience of interested persons.
While BGS or NERC believes the information to be reliable, human or mechanical error remains a possibility. Therefore, BGS or NERC does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or correct sequencing of the information.
Neither BGS or NERC nor any of the sources of the information shall be responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the use of or results obtained from the use of this information.
Exclusion of Liability
Your use of information provided by this website is at your own risk. Please read any warnings given about the limitations of the information, including those listed below.
None of the partners in this website give any warranty, condition or representation as to the quality, accuracy or completeness of the information or its suitability for any use or purpose. All implied conditions relating to the quality or suitability of the information and all liabilities arising from the supply of the information (including any liability arising in negligence) are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.
No advice or information given by the partners in this website shall create a warranty, condition or representation as to the quality, accuracy or completeness of the information or its suitability for any use or purpose.
Users of this website should be aware of the following factors and limitations that may affect the quality or accuracy of information supplied:
- Geological observations are made according to the prevailing understanding of the subject at the time. The quality of such observations may be affected by subsequent advances in knowledge or improved methods of interpretation.
- Raw data may have been transcribed from analogue to digital format, or may have been acquired by means of automated measuring techniques. Although such processes are subjected to quality control to ensure reliability where possible, some raw data may have been processed without human intervention and may in consequence contain undetected errors.
- Although records are maintained with all reasonable care, there may be some deterioration in the long term.
- The most appropriate techniques for copying original records are used, but there may be some loss of detail and dimensional distortion when such records are copied.
- Data supplied by external organisations is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of fitness for a purpose.
- Data, information and related records that have been donated have been produced for a specific purpose, and that may affect the type and completeness of the data recorded and any interpretation. The nature and purpose of data collection, and the age of the resultant material may render it unsuitable for certain applications/uses. Customers/recipients of such material are advised that it is their responsibility to verify the suitability of the material for their intended usage.
- The data, information and related records supplied by this website should not be taken as a substitute for specialist interpretations, professional advice and/or detailed site investigations. Professional advice should be sought before making technical interpretations on the basis of the materials provided.
In the event of a dispute over the description or supply of goods or ownership, the contract will be deemed to have been made within Great Britain and will therefore be subject to the laws of Great Britain.
The BGS regrets that we are only able to handle enquiries and conduct business matters in English.
The historical records available in this website date back to the 18th Century. During this long period the meaning of some words has changed, and the meaning of some of the colloquial descriptive terms has been lost. In rare instances some historic records contain words once used commonly that might now cause offence. Our policy is to provide the records in their original state without amendment or excision of content.
Permission to reproduce materials
Permission to reproduce such materials must be sought in writing from the Intellectual Property Rights Manager at BGS.
A basic copyright licence may be taken out which authorises a licensee to include extracts of maps and other data in documentation passed to third parties for a 12 month period.
Third parties receiving copies of materials under a licence may not recopy them unless prior permission has been obtained from the Intellectual Property Rights Manager at BGS.
A basic licence does not cover any form of digital copying or manipulation; digital data are subject to specific licensing and royalty arrangements, for which specific permission is required.
Ownership and conditions of use
In order to comply with ownership rights and any express conditions of deposit, information supplied by this website is provided on the strict understanding that it is for the sole use of the customer, and will not be passed in whole or in part to a third party. This does not preclude its use for the purpose of satisfying a consultancy contract for which the information was sought.
We would hope that the vast majority of potential problems can be resolved by simply contacting BGS. If, however, you are not satisfied that the problem has been resolved or handled to your satisfaction, you may wish to make a formal complaint via our customer feedback and complaints procedure.
This website and its material is provided as is, without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.
We do not warrant that the functions contained in the material contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or represent the full functionality, accuracy, reliability of the materials. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use of, data or profits arising out of or in conjunction with the use of this website.
The partners of this website are not responsible for the contents or reliability of the linked web sites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. Listing should not be taken as endorsement of any link. We cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and we have no control over the availability of the linked pages.